Friday, November 24, 2006

Does Indetificatin of Transcriptional Network Take Alternative Splicing Into Accout?

It is boring and tiring to apply for graduate school. However, you will often has the pleasure to find a stranger with the interesting ideas. Two days ago, I noticed a message from a UIUC professor seeking for post-doc students, I visit his lab website. I am attracted by the project of Identification of transcriptional network in his lab, because it focuses on high eukaryote ( more complicated and exciting than YEAST). Alternative splicing flashes in my mind. I wrote his a letter, "It is reported that many high eukaryote's pre-mRNA is subjected to alternative splicing, yielding products of different functions. (it is estimated 40%-50% human genes have the alternative splicing phenomena ) And it proved important in development, such as sex determination. I would like to know whether your research take this post-transcriptional regulation into account. If yes, how do you determine the alternative-splicing sites, via some database or prediction algorithm?" He replied soon, but don't touch this topic. Any ideas?

No comments: